YOUR GUIDE TO GET YOUR CLOSET READY FOR SPRING & SUMMER.
Happy Spring Everyone!
It is time to do a Seasonal Closet Detox in preparation for Spring and Summer! I just finished mine this morning and I am feeling great about it. I feel inspired to wear items that I forgot about, feel inspired to wear certain items that are cool again and now have a good assessment of what I need to update in my wardrobe.
If the thought of doing your closet feels overwhelming, grab a friend to help or you can always hire me for a virtual Closet Detox at https://www.glamhive.com/stylists. However, I feel that with the guidance below, you can most likely conquer this endeavor yourself.
Let's get started!
1. Play your favorite music or put on a romantic comedy in the background. It makes the time fly by.
2. Create 4 areas for sorting piles
- Seasonal Storage -These are your bulky sweaters, heavy winter clothes, etc.
- Sell - Zara resells well and brand names that are good condition
- Donate - Even items with stains donate. It will find a needed home.
- Maybe - A pile to ask a friend or to review with me at Glamhive.
3. Start going through everything!
As you go through each item, have a very HONEST conversation with yourself and ask the following:
- Have I worn this in the past year?
- Does this fit? (However, keep a few fat pants in storage!)
- Do I feel confident in this piece?
- Is this item comfortable?
- Does this item have sentimental value?
- Are these shoes comfortable?
4. Now go back and address your Maybe pile. You will find it much easier to access the second time around!
This is a good time to take expert Marie Kondo’s advice from her best-selling book The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up. Simply, if the item does not bring you joy, get rid of it. As you sort through your maybe pile and go over that checklist again, ask yourself if the item brings you joy. Again, be brutally honest with yourself.
In regards to sentimental items that you feel torn to part with, I refer to Kondo again who says, when it comes to sentimentality, “Keep the emotion, not the gift.” These items mean something to you, which is why you held onto them in the first place and are even placing them in the maybe pile. Kondo reminds us that every fabric of our lives has shaped us into who we are. It’s OK to own the feeling and discard the item. Thoughtful store the pieces that you do not wish to part with.
5. Finalizing and Organizing
When putting away all your "keeps" and organizing your wardrobe pieces there are a few options:
- Order by item then by color
- Order by color of all items. This seems to be a new trend and I tried it for the first time today. I will let you know my thoughts once I have lived with it for awhile. The only items I hung separately were my denims, summer dresses and coats.
To store your seasonal items, get boxes and put each item away with care. Denim can be thrown together while sweaters, I prefer to layer sweaters with tissue then store in a box with cedar sticks. **Keep a few lightweight sweaters out for cooler days and nights)
Here are a few of my favorite storage solutions:
6. Congratulations, omg, you did it!
Your closet is now full of items that truly bring you joy and leaving space for your evolving self. You are ready to start dressing and shopping for the warmer weather ahead!
Before you run out to go shopping:
- Make a list of what necessities you need to update; undergarments, white tees, updated jeans, etc.
- Print off my Spring Summer Trend Report HERE to guide you when adding new fashionable items to your closet.
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.